Our experienced, multi-skilled engineers are experts in the
independent assessment of structural failures and
building integrity.


A home is your pride and joy, but sometimes, no matter how hard you try, things go wrong. When that happens, however, don’t panic. Your first call should be to an expert forensic engineer who can help you determine what happened, why it happened, who is responsible and how to fix it.

At Intrax, we have a dedicated team of Forensic Engineers with years of experience in taking damaged homes and restoring them to their former glory with cost-effective solutions. Intrax will help you determine what went wrong, why it went wrong and how to fix it. Intrax will provide a thorough investigation specific to your needs with a comprehensive report to solve any structural concerns with your property.

Forensic Engineering Services

Servicing a large range of sectors in residential, commercial and industrial developments, Intrax Forensic have structured offerings for each segment providing highly qualified general and specific advice and reports.

Placing great importance on highly personalised service, Intrax Forensic provides detailed investigations and reports. Expert assessment services and personal consultations deliver specialised, comprehensive reports.

Forensic Engineering Services are focused on post-construction issues requiring expert advice and remediation. In conjunction with our other engineering disciplines, Intrax is able to offer a comprehensive suite of reports, advice, and expert testimony.

Investigation and Reporting for Distressed Buildings

In instances of structural failure or distress due to impact, excessive loading, under-design, site conditions, or other factors, Intrax can be called in to provide expert analysis and recommendations.

Dispute Resolution

Our Forensic engineers can be called into disputes between builders and occupiers in regards to poor workmanship on the builder’s behalf or poor maintenance on the occupier’s behalf.

Backed by years of experience and consultation with internal divisions such as Geotechnical, our engineers use the latest technology to deliver a timely, concise report including causes, observations, conclusions and remediation recommendations.

Fire, Storm, and Flood Damage Reports

Where a structure has been damaged by a natural disaster (ex. earthquake, flooding) or by fire the Forensic division can be called in to assess the extent of damage to a structure and provide recommendations for future action.

Building Maintenance Advice

Whether taking a verbal or written form, sometimes as part of a dilapidation report, our building advice is centered on providing clear answers to localised issues usually caused by a single problem. Additionally, this type of advice may be called upon when prevention advice is required.

Soil and Lab Testing

Drawing on the experience of our Geotechnical department, Intrax can offer a full suite of complementing soil and lab testing services to determine ground conditions of a site and reactivity of soils. Lab testing such as Moisture Contents Testing can be called on to support precise findings and recommendations.

More Services

  • Defects Reports
  • Building Maintenance Plans
  • Investigation and Reporting for Distressed Buildings
  • Building Maintenance Plans
  • Footing Probes

Forensic Engineering FAQs


What is forensic engineering?


Forensic Engineering, as related to structural engineering and buildings and homes, is an engineering discipline related to determining the root cause of structural failure or deterioration. When a post-construction structural issue arises, a forensic engineer will come out to your property, investigate the damage or defects in question and then prepare a report summarizing their findings. It is the forensic engineer’s job to offer their expert opinion and assign blame for the structural damage.



Why do I need a Forensic Engineer?


Anyone can patch up a crack, but it takes an expert to ensure those cracks will not return. If your house is undergoing footing movement and you are one of the unlucky ones who have tried to patch it up without working out the root cause, chances are your patch and point job has been wasted, seeing the damage return no matter how well it has been patched.

That is where Intrax can help. Using thorough investigation, Intrax will work out the cause of distress to your property and eliminate the cause effectively. Intrax will be with you every step of the way to make sure your building is stable prior to fixing the damage, to minimise the chances of the damage recurring and save you time and money in wasted repairs.



Why do I need a forensic engineer?


If your home is damaged, you need a forensic engineer to inspect the structure and determine how the damage was caused and how the home can be saved. A forensic engineer’s job is to work closely with structural engineers to analyse damage to a home or building and develop plans for remediation. The forensic engineer may also work with you to resolve disputes and help you come out on top in court. The forensic engineer’s investigation will help lay the groundwork for getting your home back to great living condition.


When do I require the services of a forensic engineer?


Any time there is a failure or damage to your home or building due to impact, overloading, poor design, soil settlement or washout or fire, you will want to contact a forensic engineer to begin identifying what factors led to the failure and how to remedy the issues. The forensic engineer will assess the extent of the structural damage and start developing recommendations for action. A forensic engineer’s services may also be needed if you are in a dispute with a builder over poor or unfinished work.


What are the structural irregularities? 


There are many structural irregularities that a structural forensic engineer might encounter when inspecting your home, but the most common are cracking walls and foundations. These are indications that there is some sort of ongoing settlement or movement that is causing these cracks. Cracks are not necessarily an indicator of serious structural distress, but they will only continue to propagate if you don’t nip their root cause in the bud. A structural forensic engineer will also be able to identify more serious irregularities like buckling or cracking primary structural members like columns or framing members that could indicate a problem with the structural integrity of the home. 


What are signs of structural damage to a house? 


Some signs of damage to a house are quite obvious, like a collapsed wall or sagging roof, but others are much harder to see for the untrained eye. Luckily, structural forensic engineers know exactly what to look for and how to remedy most common structural defects. The most common defects in older homes are cracks in the walls or foundation or sloping floors. These are most likely caused by changing subsurface conditions due to drainage, soil settlement or tree roots growing out of control. If modifications have been made to the home without an engineer’s approval, there may be overstressed members that could crack or split without notice. 


Is my cracking bad enough to need a Forensic Engineer?


Houses and other buildings, by nature, crack. Some cracking in a house is normal and is expected in the relevant Australian building codes. However, if your cracking looks like some of the examples below, we recommend contacting us for consultation.

How long does a structural engineer’s analysis report take? 

There’s no hard and fast rule for how long it should take to get your structural engineer’s report back. It will depend on the size of your house, the overall condition, the scope of work and the engineer’s own capabilities. A standard inspection report for a small home with no major defects could be turned around in a week, while an in-depth report with supporting calculations and drawings for a client looking to make major modifications to their home, it may take longer than a month. 


How much does a forensic engineer inspection cost in Australia?

An inspection for a small home should cost less than $1,000, while inspection of a large building with more detail required should exceed $1,000. Most residential inspections include reports, which generally cost between $1,000 to $1,500. For a larger renovation, which will require calculations and detailed drawings, expect to pay over $1,500 for any required structural engineering design services. A general rule of thumb is that the structural engineer’s cost could approach 1-2% of the total cost of construction.  This inspection will often serve as an important first step towards understanding what is causing defects like cracking or settlement.

It’s never great to come home to find your house leaning, your roof sagging or discover cracks in your foundation, but you can rest assured that the experienced team of forensic engineers at Intrax have what it takes to figure out what’s going on and get your house on the mend. Do not hesitate to call on Intrax for all your forensic engineering needs. Our talented engineers will guide you through the investigation and communicate clearly all actions that need to be taken to protect your home.

Contact Intrax Today!


If you believe you require Intrax’s Forensic services, contact Intrax on the details below. Whatever may be causing the distress to your property, the longer it takes to deal with, the more costly and time consuming repairing the damage will be.

P: 1300 INTRAX (1300 468 729)
E: forensicorders@intrax.com.au


Are you an insurance professional? Find out how we service the insurance industry and contact us here.












Intrax has a culture of leadership, innovation, respect, performance and understanding.


HQ Melbourne CBD
Level 4, 469 La Trobe Street,
Melbourne, 3000

phone: +61 3 8371 0100

fax: +61 3 8371 0199

Deer Park
Unit 13, 19 Radnor Drive,

Deer Park VIC 3023

phone: +61 3 8371 0100

15-17 Jellico drive,

Scoresby, Vic 3179

phone: +61 3 8371 0100

New South Wales


C.207, 22-36 Mountain Street,

Ultimo NSW 2007

phone: +61 2 8355 1200

Sydney City

Suite 6.02, Level 6, 89 York Street,

Sydney NSW 2000

phone: +61 2 9262 3400


11/249 Princes Highway

Bombaderry, NSW 2541

phone: 1300 677 394


T5 / 224 Central Coast Hwy,

Erina NSW 2250

phone: +61 2 4367 7334


Unit 2, 50 Alliance Dr,

Morisset NSW, 2264


Ground Floor D2 643 Kessels Rd
Upper Mount Gravatt, QLD 4122

phone: +61 7 3067 0800

South Australia


Level 1, 185 Fullarton Rd, Dulwich, SA 5065
phone: +61 8 8165 0122


Jiangsu Province
Unit 1525, Building 2D, Fuchen Commercial Plaza, 177 Tongjiang Middle Road Xinbei District, Changzhou City Jiangsu Province


Kepulauan Riau

Cammo Industrial Park B No. 1&3, Baloi Permai, Kota Batam, Kepulauan Riau

Intrax has a culture of leadership, innovation, respect and performance.